Tuesday, March 30, 2010

This time last year...

This time last year I began my job at AA Alpine Storage. I remember getting the phone call for the interview and I immediately started crying. We had been so stressed about finding a new apartment. All we could afford were the GHETTO ones. You know the ones where the neighbors have two pitbulls that are barking and snarling at the flimsy fence that is seperating you and fate, the brown shag carpet, the dirty nasty fridge, and small window air conditioning unit/or non existant air conditioning. So heres to you Alpine Storage its been a good year, mostly and we are sure grateful.

Also, this time last year during the week I started training Maddie had contracted RSV, influenza 3, and had a bronchilolitis cough. She was such a sick baby and that RSV virus was nasty it gave me the worst runny nose of my life. So of course to honor the virus we have contracted it again thank heavens it is not as severe, thank goodness Maddie is a year older, and praises be that I'm not enduring my first week of job training. Although she has not been herself, I'm aware it could be much worse. Guess we really need to up our vegetable and fruit intake.

So my question for "mothers" is how do you get you children (toddlers) to eat veggies and fruits? I know now that I should have feed them to her much more when she was young and ate everything. Now all she wants is candy and cookies. I mean I can't even get her to eat a dang fresh strawberry so you see something is not right.

7 comments:

Eric and Carrie said...

Lillie always wants candy and cookies too. So, we can't have them in the house at all. I try to keep all sugars away except natural sugars in fruit. That made it ALOT easier. Then we started with dried fruit, raisins, apricots, apples, mangoes. It's so sweet, she'll probably like it. Then we moved to real fruits, I just kept giving her 1/4 banana or 1 apple slice or canned peach at every meal and eventually she's learned to like them all. With veggies it's the same thing. Always have something on her plate at meal time and she'll eventually learn to like it. I hide a lot of veggies in casseroles and Lillie loves them. Hope that helps!

Katy said...

sorry, i have NO good advice here... Ava's a vegie hater too-- SOME fruits she'll tolerate (melons, strawberries, grapes...) but only the ones that look like Candy.

lemme know if you find any good advice-- i'm at a loss!!:)

Rolene and David said...

I hear ya! Sometimes I feel like I live in the ghetto, I'm glad your new place is great! Have you tried avocados? Clark loves them and did you know you can sugar asparagus? Maybe she'd like that. I would take away the cookies and candy too, that way you won't be tempted to give them to her! Good luck!

Black Family said...

okay...so guess what....i have been feeding jaida brocoli, bluberries and all sorts of good veggies and fruit since she was like 9 months...now all the sudden at 16 months she wants nothing to do with the veggies....in fact...she use to eat her brocolli easier than pizza! so i wish i had some tips....i will be glad to read yours....so don't kick yourself for not doing it earlier because i did and we are in the same situation now...lol!

RileyDestry said...

Kids are so funny! Hinder will love some veggies and fruits one day and the next he'll have nothing to do with them. I hide a lot of produce in things, like soups, baked goods, casseroles. And if you cook baby carrots and then add a little butter and brown sugar they taste like candy. That's a sure fire winner when Hinder won't eat veggies. Not the best advice, but hope that helps!

Brandon and Calley said...

Have you heard of that cookbook, that disguises vegetables in cakes, breads..etc (Deceptively Delicious) She might be too young for some of the other recipes, but maybe she would like the cakes? http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/B001WAKOXA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270222782&sr=8-1

Dax and Jen said...

I'm having the same problem with Hayden right now. Except he will eat nearly every fruit, but I can only get him to eat bottled green beans. I'm hoping that if they are around enough that eventually he'll give in and eat more. Good luck...